Sunday 22 February 2015

Body casts

I first started casting my legs. I decided to use mod rock as it will be strong enough to hold together but also I knew I wanted to decorate the body cast after its put together. with some help from my friends we cast both front halfs of my legs and then after they dried I added wire and scrunched up news paper to help form the back of my legs so then I would cast over them.

I next started to cast my torso againg with some help from my friends. by this point I had decided that I wanted my piece to be hung on the wall a little bit so it looks like a relief but isn't one. this is from looking at my artist research with Anthony Gormley. my piece will be a mixture of messy and fun but by the way I want it to be displayed I see it as very structured and modern.


I don't want to cast my arms as I want to get the purpose of this piece as clear as I can to my viewers. without arms it shows the lack of control this person has over his body or the curse and women itself.

As im wanting it to be displayed up against a wall I wont be casting a back

Started playing with colours and glitter to choose a variety of which I think will be suitable. I want bright vibrant colours happy fun colours. My reason for this is because I've based it on the happy thoughts of which men have about women and then it all leads back to show how much of an effect she has had on this man so much that he cant control it and its taking over along with the curse.

I really like light green light blue yellows and red. these are my colours for my final piece.

Top half and bottom half almost fully made




After having nearly a full body cast I decided since its a womens body the whole idea is that hes now trapped inside then why not have a males head. so my friend Jordan volunteered for a head cast :)


After the head was finished I tried to cast both the head and my torso together which took a while but I eventually got it placed how I wanted it. it was just a little difficult because of the weight of the head.

I then began to try and make a stags snout I used wire modroc and some newspaper for this. personally Im not too pleased with it if I could go back I would probably change how I made this. I made it way too small and it sort of looks like a wolfs face.

After I had finished casting I started to think about texture and what other materials I could use.
For our college trip we all went to Liverpool, and whilst there we all went to the beach to see these sculptures, after taking a few pictures I thought about this project and pom poms came to my mind.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlE7RknaB1E

click this link to see me experimenting with colour and throwing paint.



TADA! All done

I used the colours Light green, light blue red and yellows. I wanted to splatter the paint to give a much more abstract effect and pull it away from the plain sculpture I had made. whilst the paint was still wet I decided then would be perfect timing to add my pom poms. I love them. my final piece looks playful messy abstract but also very strange.to finish it of I added gold glitter over the top which made the paint have a metal like smooth texture which I liked. I can say ive really enjoyed this project overall if I could do this again I would probably push myself to experiment more that way I could of come up with new interesting ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment